Thursday, September 26, 2013

Web page DRAMA ...

     So I have had the joy this week of starting my own web page, and for the people out there that are computer techies you might say "Oh, wicked easy!" but not so much for me!  I started by searching the net for sites that would help me with this process for free.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of this massively ginormous forest of information we call the world wide web, but really?? How many different sites do you need out there to help you build a web site? The numbers are mind boggling.  So, after burying myself in all that information, I finally just took a friends suggestion and used wix.com.   I set up my account, spent the entire day uploading pictures, changing font, writing bios and taglines, arranging, rearranging, previewing, rearranging again, what would be my web site.
     By midnight I was exhausted and pretty sure I was ready to publish my site, so I hit the publish button.  Then I get a little message that says your site can be found under cherichristenson.wix.com/pianobycheri.  WTF!  Who in their right mind is going to remember that address?? Nobody, that's who.  So I see down below it, it says to create your own domain name click here, so I do.  It takes me to a site where I can purchase my own domain.  Ok, not so bad, only $14 a year to own pianobycheri.com  I can totally handle that, I think to myself.  I purchase my domain and put it into the address bar, and ... nothing! Ok, so I go back to the wix editing page and find out why my site won't come up.  Well low and behold I have to link the page I just created to my new domain, so I click on that button, and where does it take me.  Yup!! for those of you that have gone through this you know.  To the upgrade page with all the pricing!  So now that I have spend all day creating this "free" web page, I now have to pay to link this web page to my newly purchased domain.
     Well, it was all too much to take in at 12:30 at night, so I went to bed, and I'm pretty sure my night was filled with web page nightmares!   Well, in the end I payed the least amount I possibly could, $50 a year, to have them link my domain to my web page.  And of course, because I think the computer just wants to laugh at me, I found on accident two days later a site that would have done everything I just did for free the first year. You can check out my new web page at  www.pianobycheri.com

No comments:

Post a Comment