Tuesday, October 1, 2013

moe. The band that brought me the love of my life!

     So, I have been trying to figure out where I want to take this blog, or maybe where the blog wants to take me.  My crazy life stories, don't happen on a daily basis, although I feel like they do most of the time.  But, what do I really want to write about?  What do I really love?  Well, that's easy, MUSIC!  But do I know enough about music to write about it?  Ok, so I'm not an expert in it, but what's to say I don't have an opinion about it that someone might want to hear?  And music is such a broad topic that there would be plenty of material out there to keep me and my readers interested.  The tricky thing is where to start?
    Well, I happen to be badly missing my boyfriend today.  He is away for the week, yes I know it's only Tuesday!  He is visiting friends in Vermont, and going the moe. shows in Burlington this week.  My initiation with moe. was at a New Year's Eve concert, which incidentally is where I met my boyfriend.  moe. for those of you not familiar with them, is an American jam band, formed in 1989.  The music as described by the guitar player is  "...an amalgamation of a wide variety of the history of rock, all regurgitated and recycled through the eyes, ears, hands, whatever of the guys in our band and all of that with a sense of adventure, a sense of humor, also a constant desire to push the envelope. All in this arena of taking chances, improvising live, and making things up on the spot."  
     As with any jam band, the magic happens during the live shows.  In fact, moe. was smart enough to include the audience in their album THE CONCH.  The first two weeks of recording for this album, took place in the State Theatre in Portland, ME.  Then two live shows at the same venue were also recorded, including mass crowd participation that made its way to this album.  But THE CONCH is not their only album, DITHER received a 4-star review from Rolling Stone Magazine in 2001, and WORMWOOD also received a 4-star review in Blender Magazine in 2003.  But ask any of their fans, "moe.rons." and they will all tell you that no matter how good the albums are, the live show is indescribably better.
    moe. live, well that is an experience you have to see, hear, and feel for your self in order to grasp is fully.  It definitely captures all your senses and has a way of settling deep inside of you.  The music will take you on a journey if you let it.  It will excite you, amaze you, and give you reason to dance.  The light show that goes with the music adds that extra punch to go with the sensory journey.   The crowd at a moe. show is all about good vibes.  Strangers talking to each other, sharing with each other, dancing with your neighbor even if you just met them, a community of strangers coming together to celebrate music.
     You can find out more about moe. and their music on http://www.moe.org/ .  Or if you maybe want to go see them this week at Highter Ground in Burlington, VT you can get tickets at https://higherground.frontgatetickets.com/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment