Thursday, October 3, 2013

Owl Craze Insanity

     I have somehow been unwittingly sucked into the owl craze that is in full swing right now.  How can a beautiful, scary, head swiveling, over sized eyed, meat eating bird become a fixation for us??  Who woke up one morning and said I think I will spread that word that it is cool to go mad over owls?  I want to be that person!  I want to be the person that creates the next CRAZE!  Hmmm what shall I pick, ooh, how about the dik-dik.  Don't you want to decorate your baby's room with dik-dik? I mean who wouldn't like a miniature deer/antelope decorating their house?   Way cuter than an owl I think.  But who am I to say what pop culture will choose to fixate on next.
     So, owls it is.  I'm not sure exactly how I got sucked into the craze, but I was surfing the net one day looking for inspiration for a new painting and I found a picture of an owl with a scarf around it. So I chuckled a bit over it, and then realized that if I thought it was cute, other people would too, and that translates into sales.  So I did a painting of an owl with a scarf around it.
     Well, now, I can't just have one owl painting, I have to do a couple more so that I have a collection.  Back to the internet I go for owl inspiration.  OMG, talk about owl overload! Now, I knew that they were popular because of working in retail, but Jiminy Cricket, I had no idea to what extent. So I'm surfing and saving pictures for future inspiration and I realized that I've saved like 25 pictures!  What am I doing?  How did I get so sucked into owls?  How can there be so many cute pictures of owls out there?
     Well, with more than plenty of inspiration, I start painting.  I added two more owl paintings to the first one, to create an owl collection, that is pretty darn cute, if I say so myself. They are now on Etsy for purchase. http://www.etsy.com/shop/artbycheri
along with some of my other art.
     But, now, I have been commissioned to paint a baby owl suitable to give a mom at a baby shower.   So, back on the internet I go to look at more owls!!  I think it might be impossible to avoid this owl insanity. As long as I don't start buying any of it, I might be safe.  I'm still all for the dik-dik, anyone with me?? Together we can start our own craze over miniature antelope.! pianobycheri.com

No comments:

Post a Comment